ONE HALF OF THE SIMON & SCHUSTER PUBLICITY QUESTIONNAIRE
1) Author’s full name: BRUCE BUSCHEL
2) Author’s name as it should appear on the book: NORMAN MAILER
3) Title of Book; WALKING BROAD (LOOKING FOR THE HEART OF BROTHERLY
4) Name of agent: FLIP BROPHY, LORD LITERISTIC INC.
5) Place and Date of birth: PHILADELPHIA, USA, 4-17-47
6) Please indicate the name(s) of your spouse and children if
applicable: IF APPLICABLE TO WHAT? THEY HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH
THIS. THEY ARE COMPLETELY INNOCENT AND WILLING TO JOIN AN AUTHOR'S
7) Education: Include schools attended, dates of attendance, degrees
received, alumni bulletin. GIRARD COLLEGE (HS DIPLOMA 1963) and
TEMPLE UNIVERSITY (NO DEGREES, MANY SCARS)
8) Please list any special awards, degrees, honors, etc., which you
have received: NONE
9) Business affiliations: Please include any Trade Shows that you or
companies that you are affiliated with or attend: NONE
10) Please state your current and previous occupations: POST OFFICE
MAIL HANDLER, JR. HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER, RADIO DJ, NEWSPAPER EDITOR,
WAITER, GQ SENIOR WRITER, FREELANCE WRITER, VIDEO DIRECTOR/PRODUCER,
11) Do you have any connections in Canada? ATTENDED AN EXPOS GAME.
THEY LOST, 7-3. MY KID WENT TO McGILL. HATED IT.
12) Please list any hobbies or interests you have: RED WINE, PIANO,
WHITE WINE. THEATER, BASEBALL, TENNIS, FILM, JAZZ, ROSE WINE.
13) List your previously published books, indicating whether they
were fiction or nonfiction. CO-AUTHOR OF "THE WATERGATE FILE," Flash Books, 1972 (IT WAS THE FIRST BOOK ON THE TOPIC. LARGELY
IGNORED BECAUSE IT WAS PARANOID AND TOTALLY ACCURATE.)
14) Do you belong to Costco's, Sam's or BJ's. NO. WHY? SHOULD I?
15) Please write a brief biographical sketch suitable for promotional
use. Do not include any information you do not want released. BRUCE BUSCHEL LEFT PHILADELPHIA WITH TWO YOUNG SONS, TWO DOGS, AND
ONE WIFE IN 1979 AND NEVER LOOKED BACK—UNTIL NOW. HE PRODUCED "GROVER WASHINGTON JR. IN CONCERT," DIRECTED A SERIES OF JAZZ FILMS
CALLED “LIVE AT THE VILLAGE VANGUARD” AND CO-CREATED THE OFF-BROADWAY
MUSICAL, “ELI’S COMIN.’”
16) Please list any clubs or organizations that you belong to. Which
of these have annual conferences at which it would be important to
publicize your book? NONE
17) List any magazines or newspapers to which you have contributed.
Include title, subject, and date of important articles. Star
publications if you are currently a contributor. NEW YORK TIMES
SUNDAY MAGAZINE, PREMIERE, GQ, ROLLING STONE, SPORT, VILLAGE VOICE,
MONEY, PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER, PHILADELPHIA MAGAZINE, ATLANTIC CITY.
18) Has any article or story of yours attracted particular
attention? AN ARTICLE ABOUT LENNY DYKSTRA WON SEVERAL AWARDS; AND AN
ARTICLE ABOUT WYNTON MARSALIS IN GQ.
19) For what audience is your book primarily written? MY WIFE. SHE
SAID I WAS LAZY.
20) What related audiences (e.g. groups of professionals or students
would be interested in purchasing your book? I DON’T KNOW.
21) For what college and university courses, at what levels
(freshman, sophomore...graduate) might your book be adopted as a
text, or recommended as supplementary reading? OF ALL THE QUESTIONS
SO FAR, THIS IS THE DUMBEST.
22) Please write a paragraph or two on how you came to write this
book -- including any interesting or newsworthy anecdotes about
researching it, writing it, or getting it published. PHILADELPHIA
MAGAZINE ASKED ME TO DREAM UP A STORY. THE ONLY THING I COULD THINK
OF WAS WALKING BROAD STREET. I DON’T KNOW WHY. I NEVER WANTED TO DO
IT BEFORE THAT MOMENT. THEY SAID YES AND I DID AND IT WAS A KICK TO
WRITE ABOUT AND IT WAS RECEIVED WELL AND NOW IT IS A BOOK.
23) Please specify any distinctive or notable aspects of your book’s
subject matter, visual material, and/or organization. IMMIGRATION,
BOXING, SLUMS, HOTELS, FUNERAL HOMES, BLOOD BANKS, HAROLD MELVIN & THE BLUENOTES, AND THE IDITEROD RACE IN ALASKA.
24) Do you have any additional ideas or thoughts regarding how your
book might be sold or promoted? YOU THINK IT IS FOR PHILADELPHIANS.
I THINK PHILADELPHIANS KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT PHILADELPHIA AND THIS IS FOR
EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD.
MY TARGET AUDIENCE IS BIGGER THAN YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE.
25) Are there prizes or awards for which your book might be
nominated? GOD ONLY KNOWS.
26) List other books on the same subject now on the market, or in
preparation, with which your book will compete, or will appear, e.g.
to booksellers, to compete. Give author, title, publisher and year
of publication. I DOUBT THERE ARE ANY BOOKS IN ANY MARKET ABOUT
PHILADELPHIA. THAT LEAVES IT WIDE OPEN FOR US!